As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, on Tuesday I was a chaperone on my son's pumpkin patch field trip. I also mentioned the corn maze.
I need to elaborate on the corn maze.
Ariel view of the awesome maze. I tracked down a farmer and asked how it was created.
Here's the rundown.
- Corn is planted in a criss cross X pattern.
- Drawing of the maze is created on paper.
- The farm actually has a surveyor working on the property who is able to translate the drawing into the field of corn.
- GPS devices are used to map out the maze.
- The appropriate corn stalks are then removed from the desired paths. If done early enough in the season, this is an easy task. If they wait too long, an ax needs to be used to cut down the stalks. I got the impression the ax was used more often than not.