Monday, June 8, 2009

Bye Bye Birdie

I've been keeping my eye on the cardinal nest since my last post.  The male and female cardinals have both been very busy flying back and forth with food in their beaks for the babies.  Thinking they must have grown since my last photos,  I got the ladder out to take another quick peak inside the nest.
Wow!  The babies have grown!  Cramped quarters in that little nest.

This morning I noticed more activity than usual around the rose bush.  I went out to investigate and arrived just in time to snap probably my last photos of the last baby cardinal.
Absolutely beautiful little guy.  He peered out at me calmly from in between the rosebuds.  He just looked at me and let me take pictures for a good 5 minutes.  Never flinching.  He let out the cutest little chirp once--not out of fear, more of a curious greeting.  It was amazing.  Truly amazing.

So I am thinking he is ready to leave the nest.  Sad to see him go.   But I am hopeful that he will return and make a home in that same rosebush next year.  It has been such a joy to watch them.
Bye bye little birdie!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment